RAILWAY PROTOTYPE CYCLOPEDIA
Volume 12 is 112 pages. (Released September 27, 2005)
- Weighing Freight Cars (45 pages)
- by Pat Wider
- The extensive material includes plans and photographs of Fairbanks-Morse and Howe track scales, Baldwin-Southwark scale test cars, National Bureau of Standards scale test cars, B&O scale tool cars, as well as lists of track scales on the B&O railroad and a list of the railroad’s weigh station symbols. Several pages are devoted to describing the process of weighing freight cars and the reweighing and stenciling requirements of the A.A.R.
- CB&Q Wood-Sheathed Auto Cars ((XA-1 Through XA-14) (42 pages)
- by Bat Masterson, Hol Wagner, and Al Hoffman
- The material includes a roster and a comprehensive history of CB&Q’s XA-1 through XA-14 double- and single-sheathed automobile cars as well as numerous photographs and diagrams. More than 7,000 cars of these 40' and 50' classes were built through 1937.
- Fruit Growers Express/Burlington Refrigerator Express/Western Fruit Express Wartime Reefers (1942-1946) (26 pages)
- by Bill Welch, Ed Hawkins, and Pat Wider
- The article includes an extensive history of the FGE consortium as well as a roster, descriptions, and numerous photographs of the FGE/BRE/WFE cars built from 1942-1946. The earliest of these had plywood-sheathed sides, while others had vertical tongue and groove sides. All-steel derivatives built by Mount Vernon beginning in late 1946 are also included. The subject matter covers prototype cars that will soon be forthcoming from Sunshine Models in HO scale.
Return to Home Page